- MVE Technical Blog - (index page)
Wm Magill - May 24, 2018
GuestMVnet Login Instructions and Acceptable Use Policy
As found on "free WiFi" offered at public locations, such as Starbucks, Giant, and many others, when you attempt to connect to GuestMVnet, the first thing you will see is a pop-up login-screen (Guest Portal) asking you to "read and accept the Acceptable Use Policy" (AUP).
- On Apple devices, this screen takes about 10 -30 seconds to appear, but will appear automatically.
- On Samsung and other Android devices, you have to click on a small banner at the top of the screen, to get the pop-up.
This Guest Portal will display the Acceptable Use Policy, which you must read completely (i.e. scroll to the end of the text) to activate the accept button.
(Depending upon your device, this takes 4 or 5 screens.)
Scroll down (and read) these screens until you can click "Accept."
After you receive the screen with Connection Successful you can go on and do your desired activity - ignore the reset your password option and click done.
Clicking the Accept button gets you GuestMVnet access for a period of 24-48 hours. At which time, to continue using GuestMVnet, you must accept the Acceptable Use Policy again.
This process is similar, if not identical to what you will find at Giant, Starbucks, and many other locations offering Free-WiFi."
The full text of the Acceptable Use Policy follows:
Guest Portal login
Acceptable Use Policy
Please read the Acceptable Use Policy
Any individual connected to GuestMVnet in order to use it directly or to connect to any other network(s), must comply with this policy, the stated purposes and Acceptable Use policies of any other Network(s) or host(s) used, and all applicable laws, rules and regulations.
Masonic Villages MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRATIES CONCERNING THE AVAILABILITY OR SECURITY OF THE GUEST WIRELESS NETWORK, AND ALL USE IS PROVIDED ON AN AS-IS BASIS. BY USING THE "GuestMVnet" YOU AGREE TO DEFEND, INDEMNIFY, AND HOLD HARMLESS Masonic Villages FOR ANY LOSSES OR DAMAGES THAT MAY RESULT FROM YOUR USE OF THE GuestMVnet WIRELESS NETWORK.
Masonic Villages takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any content uploaded, shared, transmitted, or downloaded by you or any third party, or for anything you may encounter or any data that may be lost or compromised while connected to the Guest Wireless Network.
Users will be allowed to connect to GuestMVnet for no less than 24 hours and no more than 48 hours, at which time the user will be disconnected and required to log back in.
Masonic Villages reserves the right to disconnect any user at any time and for any reason. The GuestMVnet Wireless Network is provided as a courtesy to all our guests access to the internet. Users will not be given access to the MVnet resident's network or permissions to install any software on their computers.
Inappropriate use of the GuestMVnet is not permitted. This policy does not enumerate all possible inappropriate uses but rather presents some guidelines (listed below) that Masonic Villages may at any time use to make a determination that a particular use is inappropriate.
- Users must respect the privacy and intellectual property rights of others.
- Users must respect the integrity of our network and any other public or private computing and network systems.
- Use of the GuestMVnet Wireless Network for malicious, fraudulent, or misrepresentative purposes is prohibited.
- The GuestMVnet Wireless Network may not be used in a manner that precludes or hampers other users access to the GuestMVnet Wireless Network or any other networks.
- Nothing may be install or used that modifies, disrupts, or interferes in any way with service for any user, host or network.